Top 5 tips on growing edibles
At Koskela we are big believers in growing a bountiful garden that feeds the belly and the soul.
After setting up shop at our Rosebery warehouse in 2011 we quickly got to work transforming a section of the carpark into a lush urban paradise.
Now overseen by Byron at Urban Growers, produce from this garden supplies our neighbours at Three Blue Ducks and patrons can dine alfresco in the Mediterranean-inspired courtyard.
We stock a range of garden products to help you make the most of your outdoor space, whether it’s big or small. For a little extra inspiration we asked Byron for his top five tips on growing an edible plot of your very own.
- You need SUN, at least 6 hours but you really can’t have too much when it comes to growing food. Annual herb and veg plants grow fast and die young so they need good sun + food + water.
- After sun, the SOIL is your next focus. If you're buying potting mix for pots and planter boxes, spend a little extra for premium. Good soil will make all the difference to your gardening success.
- Taking the time to MAINTAIN to your garden will offer you some downtime after work and the opportunity to harvest of some fresh herbs or leafy greens.
- DESIGN your garden to suit your lifestyle. Grow what you eat and take pride in the appearance and health of each plant.
- EAT what you grow and experiment with all the interesting varieties you don’t find at the store. Share your wins with friends and enjoy a meal prepared and inspired by some of your own produce.
Photography by Ashley Natasha Jones.